Originally answered Aug 19, 2018
Here are 12 steps to follow to Implement a Successful KM Program:
- Learn about the field of knowledge management and build expertise in it.
- Identify the top 3 objectives for the program, focusing on meeting the biggest needs of the organization.
- Gain the sponsorship, commitment, and active support of senior leadership.
- Determine who will participate in the program, which basic processes will be required, and how tools will support the people and processes.
- Articulate the end-state vision: what does KM look like when it is working well?
- Define the KM strategy.
- Define compelling use cases with clear advantages over existing alternatives.
- Define the KM program governance.
- Specify the desired modes of knowledge flow.
- Select and implement people, process, and technology components using knowledge management specialties such as information architecture, design thinking, user experience, and agile development.
- Improve and iterate to implement the strategy and achieve the vision.
- Share achievements and ideas with others to build awareness, solicit feedback, and pay it forward.