Originally answered Jan 6, 2012
All of the Big Four professional services firms (Deloitte, PwC, E&Y, KPMG), systems integrators/consultants (e.g., Accenture, IBM), and management consultancies (e.g., McKinsey, BCG) have had sustainable KM systems for a long time. In addition, firms in other industries (e.g., GE, Fluor, Conoco-Phillips, Shell, Caterpillar, State Farm, Buckman Labs), non-profits (e.g., MITRE), and government (e.g, US Army) have also distinguished themselves in the field.
I wrote about case studies in my book, Proven Practices for Promoting a Knowledge Management Program in Chapter 15: REUSE PROVEN PRACTICES 191:
- Microsoft Services 191
- NASA 193
- Large Professional Services Firm 197
- Large Systems Integrator 198
- Large Defense Contractor 200
- Large Global Manufacturer 203
- Chubb Insurance 205
- The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company 207
- Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) 210
- The Hewlett-Packard Company 214
I presented webinars on these case studies in Selling KM — Reuse Proven Practices: Parts 1–5.
To find case studies, here are some good sources:
- Consult the APQC knowledge base and benchmarking studies
- Join the SIKM Leaders Community, review the archives, and post to the discussion board
- Use KM Resources to find materials, contacts, sites, etc.