Originally published May 29, 2014
Edited by Helen Roche, featuring expert contributions from Stan Garfield, Alison Jones, Athanasios Karagrounas, Nico Keppens, Tushar Kulkarni, Alice MacGillivray, Margaret McNaull, Angelo Mohanan, Katrina Pugh, Euan Semple, Arthur Shelley, David Smith, Dave Snowden, Bill Stockton, Emily Timmins, Glynys Thomas, and Alison Zartarian.
Effective knowledge management demands equally effective leaders. Yet, what exactly is an effective knowledge leader? What are the attributes and skills needed? What are the challenges that knowledge leaders face and, importantly, how do they overcome them? Ark Group’s report, Successful Knowledge Leadership: Principles and Practice addresses these key questions, revealing the critical skills and abilities, behaviors, and techniques needed to drive KM success.
Respected KM experts and top influencers Arthur Shelley, Dave Snowden, Stan Garfield, Euan Semple, Alice MacGillivray and more offer their insightful advice on key topics, including:
- The 12 principles of knowledge leadership;
- Discovering your leadership style;
- How good leaders can improve the success of KM;
- Establishing a results-oriented approach;
- The importance of leadership and enabling change;
- Moving from knowledge leadership to connected leadership;
- Facilitating human interactions and improving knowledge sharing,
- Aligning your KM program with overall organizational strategy; and,
- Leveraging the benefits of social media (with a checklist for a social media model).
Practical examples are featured throughout the report highlighting successful KM leadership practices within organizations such as HP, SAP, the BBC, and the European Commission. You’ll also find insightful case studies from knowledge leaders currently overcoming KM challenges and making a success of their projects and overall KM strategy. These include:
- AstraZeneca — The role of the KM leader in developing a KM culture and embedding knowledge leadership as an accountability within key roles in the organization
- Meyer Vandenberg — The leadership role in embedding a KM repository into everyday work practices
- Severn Trent Water — The role of leadership in knowledge management success
- EuropeAid — The hurdles for knowledge sharing and leadership in a big organization
- The Department for Communities and Local Government UK — Leadership challenges with regards to shared services in public sector KM