Originally answered Sep 30, 2018
- Assess yourself against the list of specialties in your field.
- Read books, blogs, periodicals, and sites.
- Join, participate in, and help lead communities of practice in your field.
- Successfully complete relevant training.
- Attend conferences in your field.
- Find a mentor and serve as one.
- Learn by doing.
- Stretch your limits by volunteering for and accepting challenging internships, apprenticeships, assignments, projects, and missions.
- Present, speak, lead discussions, and deliver training.
- Post, write, and publish.
- What makes someone an expert?
- How to Build Your Personal Digital Brand: 10 Helpful Lists
- How do I test the knowledge of an industry expert?
- What are some official ways of assessing one’s knowledge or skills?
- Can you lead without being the master of a domain?
- What is the path one should take if one wants to be a thought leader?