Originally answered Sep 1, 2016
Knowledge increases in multiple ways when it is shared:
- More people now know about what was shared, so there is more total knowledge in the world.,
- Other people can test, apply and build on what you share to validate, refine, and expand upon it. This strengthens your knowledge, as others can confirm, point out flaws, or improve what you know.
- In thinking about how to share an insight, you can improve your understanding and the quality of what you share.
- Sharing what you know helps you learn by doing research, synthesizing multiple viewpoints, and crystallizing ideas, thus increasing your knowledge.
- When you share, it gets others to also share, which increases the total body of knowledge.